By Jill Kurtz, Owner of Kurtz Digital Strategy
Are you stressed out about marketing your business on social media? If you are like most people, you aren’t sure what to do and it all just seems way too stressful.
What you are likely missing is a social media strategy. It does not need to take a lot of time to develop a strategy. With one, you know what you are doing and why. Most importantly, you know if you are being successful.
A great way to get started with your strategy is to look at your effective offline marketing and communication efforts. What works and what doesn’t? What takeaways can you apply to the online space?
If your audience really responds well when you share stories during face to face meetings, that will likely go over well online, too. If they like plenty of lead time to learn about an event, provide that online as well. If they don’t like it when you get too technical, avoid that on social.
5 Key Questions
Your social media strategy is one of the ways that you communicate and market your business. As you prepare to develop your strategy, ask yourself:
- Goal: Why do I want to engage online?
- Resources: What time, how much money and other resources can I apply to this effort?
- Social Media: What social sites do I want to be part of?
- Content: What content do I have to share?
- ROI: How will I measure my success?
As you answer these questions, you will develop the heart of your own social media strategy.
Take the insights you learned by asking and answering the key questions and write your plan. You may have many great ideas of what you can do on social media, but only the ones that will move you toward your goal are worthy of being written into your plan.
Be as specific as possible, including timelines for every component of the plan and identifying the resources that will be used. You plan is a road map that will help you stay on track.
Get It Done
Your plan should be a daily companion. It should not collect dust on a shelf!
Follow the plan. Also be willing to update and change it. Make changes when ideas don’t seem to work or when you discover a new idea that will help you reach your goal.
If you get stuck at any point in this process, seek our help. Digital strategists like me specialize in helping businesses to develop strategies to succeed on social media. Having someone to guide you at every step in the process may be just the think to move from stressed to successful!
Latest posts by Jill Kurtz (see all)
- Get Started with Your Social Media Marketing Strategy - January 18, 2018
- Take Your Social Media Efforts to the Next Level with the Right Tool - December 20, 2017
- Add Twitter Chat to Your Marketing Strategy - November 15, 2017
- Find Content Your Target Customer Cares About - October 18, 2017
- The Secret to Marketing Success: Strategy - September 27, 2017