The headline or title is critical to attracting readers. The most interesting content can go unnoticed if the headline doesn’t generate interest in reading the rest. Copyblogger research shows that 80 percent of visitors will read headlines and only 20 percent will read content to the finish.
Have you ever experimented with changing the headline of an article to see if there is an impact? I often do this when I share my blog content on social channels – I change the headline to see if I can get more eyeballs.
Tools to Craft the Right Headline
There are several online tools that can help you to construct perfect titles and headings.
- Portent’s Content Idea Generator. Enter a topic into Portent’s Content Idea Generator and get content and title ideas. The site also offers writing tips.
- LinkBait Title Generator. Enter a subject and the LinkBait Title Generator generate a long list of headline suggestions. There are so many that you are likely to find something that will work and a few ideas for future content as well.
- CoSchedule Headline Analyzer. Coschedule is a free headline analyzer tool that scores your overall headline quality, does length analysis, and previews how your headline will look in Google search results and email subject lines. It also offers tips for how to make your headline or title better.
- Emotional Marketing Value Headline Analyzer. The Emotional Marketing Value Headline Analyzer is a free topic generator tool that helps you reach your target audience. It analyzes headlines, titles, and email subject lines and provides an emotional marketing value (EMV). In general, the higher the EMV, the better the headline.
- SE Ranking. SE Ranking can help you figure out how to make your titles more attractive for search engines by using keywords. Helping people find your content in search is extremely valuable to boosting your readership.
- Hubspot Blog Topic Generator. The Hubspot Blog Topic Generator is simple and quick to use. Enter three words related to your content and get five possible headlines. I find that many of the results get formulaic. You may very well outgrow this one, as well.
Content Strategy Is Key
Awesome headlines are just one component of a great online content strategy. Having a plan and a checklist to get it right sets you up for success and keeps you on track. You can go it alone or let me help you put together and implement a winning content strategy.
Latest posts by Jill Kurtz, Kurtz Digital Strategy (see all)
- Write Headlines that Grab Readers - September 20, 2018
- Manage Your Online Reputation in Five Easy Steps - August 16, 2018
- Use Social Media to Connect Your Business with Your Target Customer - July 18, 2018
- 3 Ways to Make Your Content Pop in Search Engines - June 20, 2018
- The Subject Line Makes (or Breaks) your Email Campaign - May 16, 2018