Social media influencers are people with networks and interests that can help share your brand message. Your brand should be intentional in leveraging your influencers. There are five basic steps to developing an effective influencer campaign.
Set the Goal for Your Influencer Marketing Campaign
To build a successful influencer marketing program for your business, know your marketing goal and define a goal for the campaign that supports that goal. You will want to tap into what influencers do – influence.
Here are some marketing goals that influencers can help with.
- Content promotion
- Product promotion
- Product advantage
- Content creation
- Event management
Identify Your Influencers
Social media influencers are social media users who have an established credibility and audience. These are users who persuade others.
- Have a large and engaged audience
- Are active on social media and post frequently
- Are authentic, credible, respected
- Connect to your brand or industry as evidenced by the content of posts and/or the people in their audience
Know what you are looking for and then find the influencers that fit. The easiest way to find your brand influencers is use search tools on various social media channels to explore who’s already posting about your brand online.
Also look for recommendations. Social influencers tend to know other influencers. Once you’ve identified influencers, ask them to recommend others who are similar. Some social media networks, such as Instagram and Twitter will give you recommendations when you follow an influencer on the platform.
Reach Out to Influencers
To start these relationships off on the right foot, make sure you focus on building a strong relationship. Reach out directly to influencers and get to know them. Give support and information before you start to ask for anything.
Offer appropriate incentives. Influencers are not necessarily looking for monetary rewards. Consider their interests:
- Increase their reach/grow their audience
- Quality content
- Perks like behind the scenes views, insider scoops, product previews
- Unique experiences
Measure Your Results
Define your measures of success and take periodic assessments. Adjust to do more of what works well and less of the activities that aren’t showing results.
As with all social media, influencer marketing should be viewed over the long-term. If you take time to create healthy relationships with influencers, you should see results over time.
Latest posts by Jill Kurtz, Kurtz Digital Strategy (see all)
- 5 Steps to Leverage Influencers on Social Media - February 20, 2019
- Here’s Why Your Digital Presence Needs a Content Strategy - January 17, 2019
- 7 Easy Ways to Get More Social Shares - November 21, 2018
- The Marketing Upside of Shortened URLs - October 18, 2018
- Write Headlines that Grab Readers - September 20, 2018